Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Living with someone? You may need your own policy to protect your belongings

If you are sharing a residence with someone who isn’t a spouse or parent, you may not be covered if your belongings are stolen or damaged in a fire or other destructive event. When a homeowner or renter purchases insurance, the policy typically includes the named insured and the spouse, relatives and dependents under age 21 who live in the residence.

If you live with a partner, a roommate or even a distant relative, you should consider a policy of your own. Talk to an agent or broker about the type of coverage you need to cover your belongings in the event of a break-in, fire, flood, landslide, or other event that could cause you to incur a loss. Find a licensed agent or broker.

Some insurance companies might be willing to add two unrelated people to a renter policy, so check with your insurance agent of insurance company to see if this is an option for you.

Read more about homeowner and renter insurance.