Thursday, August 7, 2014

What you need to know about auto clubs and personal auto insurance

We sometimes hear from consumers who have had their car damaged or caused property damage or injury to someone else while participating in a car club event (think hot rod club or classic car club), car performance club, race club, or performance driving technique clubs or classes, and are upset because their personal auto policy won’t pay for the damage. This type of activity exclusion may also apply to motorcycle, RV, or possibly even boat coverage.

Yes, that's right ... personal auto policies may exclude damage resulting from these activities. That means you may have no coverage whatsoever if anything happens to you, your passengers, your car, or other property or people you damage or injure while participating in these types of events.

If you are a member of one of these groups, anticipate joining one or participating in any events associated with these types of organizations or activities, you need to first read your personal auto, motorcycle, RV or boat policy, and then talk to your agent or insurer to find out what is or is not covered by your policy.

Read more about auto insurance on our website. Questions? You can contact our consumer advocates online or by phone at 1-800-562-6900.