Monday, July 7, 2014

Before you hit the water, make sure your boat is covered

Boating is a popular pastime in Washington state, with 157 miles of coastline and more than 453 water recreation sites run by the state Department of Fish and Wildlife and 19 marine parks run by the state Parks Commission. 

No matter what type of boat you own, you should talk to your agent about getting it insured against a loss. Small boats, such as canoes and kayaks, may be covered by your homeowner policy. Larger boats and personal watercraft, including Jet Skis®, likely require their own policy. Read more about boat insurance. Your best bet is to contact your agent or broker, or find one if you don’t have one. 

The state has a website for boaters,, run by the state Recreation and Conservation Office. It has information about mandatory boater education, boating safety requirements, registering your boat and trailer, and information about fishing and recreational boating.

Don’t forget, many places where you launch a boat require a state Discover Pass, a Natural Investment Permit or some other form of a launch or moorage permit.