A big part of what we do is help consumers who have questions about insurance or who are experiencing trouble with their insurance policy or company. In 2013, we responded to more than 5,000 inquiries from consumers and helped recover $8.4 million in insurance billings, refunds and other claims-related issues. Did you know the Insurance Commissioner’s Office has consumer experts who can help people who have hearing loss and people in nearly any language?
We have 17 consumer advocates; four of our employees also speak also Spanish, Chinese, Tagalog or American Sign Language. For all other languages, we contract with a company that provides interpretation services. We also have a telecommunications device for the deaf (TDD) for callers who have hearing or speech impairments.
We can help:
- Answer questions about home, auto, health, life, annuities, business and other insurance.
- Understand your insurance rights, including your health insurance appeal rights and the process.
- Understand how health reform works.
- Look into your complaints against an insurance company.
- Provide you with information about your shopping options.
- Verify if an agent, agency, or company is authorized to sell insurance in Washington state.
Consumers can reach us by phone at 1-800-562-6900, online via our web form or even in person at our Tumwater office.
Read more about consumer advocacy at OIC.