You may have seen that this week is National Consumer Protection Week. The Washington state Insurance Commissioner has an entire unit devoted to helping consumers who experience trouble with their insurance policies or companies. In 2013, we responded to more than 5,000 inquiries from consumers and helped recover $8.4 million in insurance billings, refunds and other claims-related issues.
Our consumer advocates can help:
- Answer questions about home, auto, health, life, annuities, business and other insurance.
- Understand your insurance rights, including your health insurance appeal rights and the process.
- Understand how health reform works.
- Look into complaints against insurance companies.
- Provide you with information about your shopping options.
- Verify if an agent, agency, or company is authorized to sell insurance in Washington state.
We also share information of interest to insurance consumers on this blog and through our social media channels. Many of our posts are generated by questions our consumer advocates receive from Washington citizens. Consumers can reach us by phone at 1-800-562-6900 and online via our web form. Read more about consumer advocacy at OIC.