There are some exceptions that allow children to be enrolled anytime during the year. Parents must apply for their child within 31 days of the following events if either they or their child:
- No longer qualify for a state program.
- Lose coverage due to a divorce.
- Lose employer-sponsored coverage (including COBRA).
- Move and their plan is not available where they live.
- Also, parents or guardians can apply year-round for individual coverage within 60 days of birth, adoption, or placement of a child for adoption.